Tuesday, January 12, 2010

100 Cupboards: Book 1 of the 100 Cupboards



100 Cupboards tells the story of 12 year-old Henry who is sent to live with his aunt and uncle in Kansas when his parents are kidnapped while traveling. Henry is given a room in the attic and he begins hearing strange noises during the night. He soon discovers strange knobs sticking out of the wall where there had been nothing before. After scraping away the plaster, Henry finds that the wall is covered with cupboards - each of them with a different size, shape, and color. As Henry soon finds, each also contains something different. Or leads somewhere different, to be exact. A different world lies through each cupboard and Henry can't be sure what good or evil may lurk there.

The cover of 100 Cupboards grabbed my attention immediately and I couldn't wait to read it. Unfortunately, I found the cover to be far more interesting than the story itself. I don't know if this is due to it being juvenile fiction and therefore just below my level of interest. Considering I often read books targeted to that age group though, I tend to think that isn't the case. The story does have some intrigue and action, but I just think that it could have done more. It didn't have me sitting on the edge of my seat and the revelations of what were through each cupboard fell a little flat.

Now, I did not originally know that this was the first book of a series, so perhaps that makes a difference. Things could pick up from this point and get better. As Henry explores more of the cupboards, the worlds that he reveals may be more enticing than the ones that have revealed so far, but I just can't bring myself to read any further. If anyone reads any more of the series, please let me know what you think.

2.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment